Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Santiago

Well I was sad to say goodbye to Bolivia, but was looking forward to my flight from La Paz... apparently the airports altitude mean planes need a longer runway and more speed to take off and land... but it seemed pretty normal, and clouds obscured any view of the city. Still on aeroplanes - they didnt feed us first flight, then herded us all off the plane thru customs, and back while they refuelled in Iqueque (Chile) then fed us only peanuts and a biscuit... starving Karen!

Arriving in Chile was a bit of a shock to the system... their roads are all immaculate, cars follow the lanes, there is order, lots of greenery, no traditional dress or people with roadside stalls... you could almost be in Australia or the US or Europe. They have supermarkets... (sad I know but having not seen one for months I was excited!) Santiago is in fact a big, international feeling city with skyscrapers, shopping malls and pedestrian streets, buses, a subway system and suburbs which spread along the valley.

I found my hostel, and headed out to one of the suburbs which is meant to be a bit bohemian, and filled with students, bars and places to eat. I found an area which reminded me of St Kilda a bit... palm trees and practicing jugglers and all! (no beach though). Had fish at a lovely restaurant, but unfortunately succumbed once more to a dreaded stomach bug.... got home and was sick. I spent the next half a day in denial, wandering round being a tourist hoping it was just a once off.... except I was really tired and found myself falling asleep in the sun on park benches or even a great museum.... back to the hostel. After about 16hrs sleep, I felt less sleepy but had diareahea, and it was another few days until I was back to solid food and wandering anywhere.... Still for what its worth, I like Santiago, and picked a comfy hostel to get stuck in!

No comments: