Thursday, October 25, 2007

Sucre

Sucre is a beautiful white colonial city, with heaps of churches, convents, a thriving market, parades and a lovely green town square.

Since I was staying across from the market, I adopted the habit of getting myself a delicious fresh fruit salad and smoothy to start the day. And couldnt help but be impressed by the hum of this busy area... open first thing in the morning, and a popular pedestrian strip come 9 or 10pm.

I loved Sucre´s weaving museum, had to go back after lunch, and went back a few days later to buy myself some amazing hand woven pieces. I also checked various other museums, most of which were housed in lovely buildings.

And for a change of pace I went to see some dinosaur footprints... yeah, the local cement factory were quarrying when they uncovered a whole slab of footprints going up a almost vertical wall. It used to be a muddy swampy area near a lake apparently, but a volcanic eruption covered it with protective ash, and the plates tilted rather a lot. Odd.


And just before I was leaving, I ran into a wierd parade around the town square... dancing teenagers followed by decorated cars..


And I decided to fly between Sucre and my next destination as I couldnt face another overnight bus, and a half hour flight sounded oh so much better!

No comments: